Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
 
 
 
September 30, 2020

History of Red Oak Fire Rescue

 

  • The city purchased it’s first fire truck in 1949 and first Fire Chief was Joe Smith until 1958. Perry McCalman was appointed in 1958.
  • In 1951 another fire truck was purchased.
  • April 1963, the largest fire in the city’s history where the local high school and gymnasium burnt to the ground.
  • 1949 to September 1997 - All Volunteer Fire Department
  • In 1988, the Ellis County Fire District #3 was established to cover areas beyond the city limits of Red Oak. 
  • October 1997 established a combination fire department (Volunteer & Paid). 2 part time firefighters working 8am-4pm
  • In 2001, began 24 hour coverage utilizing part time personnel. 
  • In June 2004, ROFR adopted their first state approved Emergency Management Plan.
  • In 2004 became a certified training facility through the State of Texas.
  • In 2004, the Department became a charter member of the EDUCT Group (Ellis Dallas Unified Cooperative Team), a 10-city collaborative team for training, risks assessment, and responses. This team’s goal is to bring unity to the departments within the region.
  • In 2005, Ellis County Fire District #3 changed their name to Emergency Service District #4.
  • In 2006, Red Oak Fire Department changed its name to Red Oak Fire Rescue because of expanded services.
  • In March 2006, the State of Texas approved Red Oak’s advanced Emergency Management Plan.
  • In 2007, the Red Oak Firefighter Association was established becoming a charter member of the IAFF Local #4533 (International Association of Firefighters).
  • In January 2008, ROFR opened Station 2 at 1201 Pierce Road.
  • In 2008, ROFR became a part of TIFMAS (Texas Intrastate Fire Mutual Aid System) and established an All-Hazard statewide task force response team. 
  • In October 2009, a Regional Communication Center (covering Midlothian, Ovilla and Red Oak) was established.
  • We received a Brush Truck on a Texas Forest Service Grant in 2009.
  • In 2011, we constructed the Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
  • In 2012, we created the first department Honor Guard.
  • We received a new custom Spartan ERV Engine in 2013.
  • We received a new custom Spartan ERV 103' Ladder Truck in 2014.
  • 2015 CareFlite Ambulance service began
  • 2015 Received Mobile Incident Command Unit MIC-181 shared with ROISD
  • 2016 AMR began as our ambulance provider
  • 2016 Received Best Practices Recognition
  • 2017 Received new Pierce Enforcer Fire Engine Pumper
  • 2017 First Battalion Chief's Position established
  • 2019 Received TIFMAS Brush Engine from Texas Forest Service
  • 2019 Chief Eric Thompson retired
  • 2020 Received Rescue 181

The above picture was taken of some of the Red Oak Volunteer Firefighters that were filmed in the movie "Bonnie and Clyde".




Page Last Updated: Aug 07, 2020 (14:33:46)
 
 
Red Oak Fire Rescue
Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By poweractivesite™

2148040 hits since Jan 24, 2014

Top of Page image